Other indirect greenhouse gas emissions
Within our scope 3 emissions, indirect CO2 emissions associated with the purchase of goods and services, those associated with transportation and distribution of our products and, more significantly, those arising from the sale of these products, are considered relevant.
|Scope 3: Indirect greenhouse gas emissions (millions of tons)|
|Indirect CO2 emissions associated with purchasing hydrogen||0.78||0.77||0.63|
|Indirect CO2 emissions associated with purchasing
goods and services (excluding hydrogen)
|Product transport and distribution||1.02||1.04||0.61|
|CO2 emissions derived from product sales||116||141||146|
Emissions associated with the purchase of hydrogen in 2016 were reduced as a result of updating the mean energy intensity values in the BREFdocument for 2015.
Emissions associated with the purchase of other goods and services in 2016 were also reduced, essentially as a result of the varied origin of purchased crude, since there was an increase in the crude purchased from areas with lower emission factors.
Emissions arising from transportation of our products fell significantly during this year because the emission factors used were lower due to the use of increasingly energy-efficient vehicles.
Emissions arising from the sale of products in 2016 rose, due to higher production of our Exploration and Production assets (production increase in 2016 compared to the previous year is due to the incorporation of ROGCI assets from January onwards, while the data for 2015 include ROGCI from the date of purchase in the month of May).
- The 2015 figures were modified with respect to the 2015 Sustainability Report as a result of verification after the report had been issued.
- Data currently being verified. Once verification is completed, they will be available on the repsol.com website. It must be borne in mind that H2 has been purchased at the La Pampilla refinery since September 2016, for the new hydrodesulphurization unit that allows us to produce diesel with less than 50 ppm of sulfur.
- The scope in previous years has been broadened, including the emission associated with this category at the La Pampilla refinery. The 2014 and 2015 data were recalculated on this basis.
- These emissions were calculated using the factors supplied by DEFRA for goods road haulage. These factors are calculated on the basis that a truck completes part of the total journey empty, and therefore for the purposes of calculating emissions it is not necessary to double the distance over which goods are transported to account for the portion of the journey during which the truck was empty. In the specific case of rail transport, we have only considered the journey of diesel locomotives, which account for 40% of them, with the remaining 60% of electric locomotives outside the perimeters, according to the study published by the Railway Observatory in Spain. The 2014 and 2015 emissions were calculated in due consideration of this.
- These emissions were calculated on the basis of the new methodology published by CDP, in accordance with the production method, which considers both Exploration and Production (crude, natural gas and liquefied natural gas) and also sales of LPG, naphthas, gasolines, kerosenes, diesels, fuel oils and coke produced at our refineries. It does not include emissions from chemicals, as these are non-material in the final figures reported for this category. To prevent any double counts, the amount of crude produced by Exploration and Production which is subsequently processed at our refineries is subtracted. The 2014 and 2015 data were recalculated on the basis of this methodology.
- Best Available Techniques (BAT) Reference Document for the Refining of Mineral Oil & Gas